Have an old door lying around? Here’s how you can transform your living room in seven simple steps courtesy of Builders…
Who said your old, worn-out vintage door can’t have a second life? In just seven easy, DIY steps courtesy of Builders, you can transform any old door into a unique feature that will be the centrepiece of your living room, and the envy of all your friends. You can turn it into a shelving space on which to store all your favourite ornaments, family portraits and curated collections. You can even turn it into a beautiful area where you could hang your favourite coats after a night on the town. Use your imagination – the sky is the limit.
Here’s what you’ll need: an old door, a circular saw, a measuring tape, sandpaper, paint & brushes, a screwdriver, screws, 5 x 90 degree metal L brackets, and a 3 x 300 x 300 shelf kit. Combine the above with a sense of keen enthusiasm, a couple of creative ideas and channel your inner DYI-self…and voila! And remember, no idea is too wild with Builders.
Below are a few easy steps to create your perfect feature:
- Cut the door in half using the circular saw. Use the measuring tape to ensure that you cut accurately.
- Sand the door down with sandpaper and paint the two panels, as well as the shelves.
- Place the two door panels at a 90 degree angle and secure 5 x L brackets along the back. You will need two people to do this – one to hold the panels and one to screw the brackets in.
- Now measure where you want to place your 3 x shelves.
- Firstly, screw the brackets that come with the shelf kit in, then the shelves.
- Secure the doorknob (if you’re using an old door with an existing doorknob, you can replace it with something more decorative). *Note: remove the doorknob on the side that will sit against the wall so that it’s flush with the wall.
- Fix the shelf in the corner of your living room and add your final personal touches or paraphernalia.
Just like that, you will have a brand new striking feature in your living room that will bring you hours of endless “love-to-look-at” joy, as well as add a splash of colour to your life. With a little bit of inspiration, a few great ideas, the backing of Builders and a large dose of eagerness, it’s as easy as these 7 simple steps.