TEDxJohannesburg has revealed a stellar line-up of speakers for its next event, TEDxJohannesburgSalon. Taking place on Thursday 1 March from 08:00 to 16:30, the event will be held at Tshimologong Digital Precinct in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
The event, presented in the TEDxSalon format and themed Hacking the Farm, is organised with the support of partners Tshimologong Digital Precinct and the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
The Wits University affiliated Tshimologong Digital Precinct is nurturing a burgeoning start-up ecosystem built around interests in digital technology and innovation. While the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands represents an EU member country with a wealth of knowledge and trading expertise in agriculture.
The TEDxSalon format allows the organisers to focus on a specific theme or issue of interest and provides an opportunity to spark robust discussion. The focus for this event is on the exciting changes that the farm is going through—and must go through—as it transforms to meet the challenging demands of a rapidly approaching future.
The array of speakers includes experts from as far afield as the United States of America, Zimbabwe, The Netherlands, Nigeria and Uganda. The South African contingent is equally strong and includes some of the most important local voices in the discussion about the future of our food and our role in it.
The line-up is drawn from a range of farmers, technologists, economists, agronomists, entrepreneurs, researchers, inventors, designers, and activists. “Each speaker will take the farm apart, and put it back together again,” says the organiser, Kelo Kubu.
International speakers are as follows:
- Gertjan Meeuws: Horticultural Engineer, Entrepreneur (The Netherlands)
- Ed Mabaya: Scholar, Development Practitioner (Zimbabwe, USA)
- Frank Wernecke: Drone Master, Incubator, Entrepreneur (Germany)
- Emma Naluyima: Veterinarian, Smallholder Farmer (Uganda)
- Mojisola Ojebode – Biochemist, Entrepreneur (Nigeria)
South African speakers include the following:
- Tracy Ledger: Author, Activist, Food Systems Researcher
- Thabi Nkosi: Agricultural Economist
- Brian Dick: Cheese Connoisseur, Slow Food Advocate
- Thato Moagi: Agripreneur, Nuffield International Scholar 2017/18
- Michris Janse Van Rensburg – Farmer, Inventor
This is a particularly strong programme. Book your seats early.
Tickets are available on tedxjohannesburg.co.za/hackingthefarm.html, or you can simply search for TEDxJohannesburgSalon on www.quicket.co.za.
Cost to attend is only R750. Drinks and a full lunch included. Seats are limited.
Lastly, in true TEDxJohannesburg fashion, you can expect your mind to be challenged and stretched. Maybe even fried.