The search for Soweto’s top 20 finest concluded on a high note on Saturday, 8 October at Maponya Mall in Soweto, as finalists vying for the Miss Soweto 2016 title, proudly sponsored by White Star Super Maize Meal, were announced. The first round of semi-finals for this prestigious pageant, took place on Saturday, 1 October, with the second and final round concluding with the announcement that has the potential to change one young woman’s life forever.
The names of the 20 selected finalists are:
- Nthabiseng Kgasi from Protea Glen
- Masego Ncgobo from Meadowlands
- Maphefo Lehlomela from Protea Glen
- Busisiwe Mmotla from Emdeni
- Busisiwe Motha from Orlando East
- Thandeka Maduna from Diepkloof
- Phumzile Nyembe from Diepkloof
- Sizakele Mokoto from Dobsonville
- Andrea Fox from Meadowlands
- Tsholofelo Ramodesha from Klipspruit
- Reitumetse Banda from Protea North
- Mamello Pale from Jabulani
- Noxolo Hlatshwayo from Braamfischer
- Sharmaine Aphane from Diepkloof
- Lebogang Moleleki from Diepkloof
- Karabo Masedi from Jabulani
- Nokukhanya Kunene from Emndeni
- Lerato Cindi from Zola
- Pearl Mocwiri from Mapetla
- Kamogelo Kodisang from Meadowlands
Leading up to the grand finale, that is set to take place at the Soweto Theatre on Saturday, 3rd December 2016, the hard work for each of the 20 finalists is starting now, as they will all go through an intense period of coaching, rehearsals, public appearances and judging.
A highlight of this year’s pageant is the talent search to find gifted groups or individuals within Soweto who will all be given the opportunity to perform at the pageant finals, thereby giving them a share of the unprecedented exposure that is synonymous with the Miss Soweto Pageant. White Star hosted the auditions for the talent search competition at Jabulani Mall on Saturday, 24 September. The talent search aligns naturally with White Star as the brand has strong association with community upliftment as well as music events around the country.
The eight selected individuals and groups that came out on top and made it as part of the “Judge’s Choice” at the White Star Talent Search auditions, are:
- All Colours ABCDE – a multi-talented dancer whose performance incorporated a variety of styles.
- Angels – a very confident group of young kids who take dancing very seriously for their age. Their performance was clean and fun.
- Bokang – a young versatile pop singer with pink hair as his trademark, something which makes him even more outstanding.
- Genetic Movers – one of the best dance groups pulled off a show stopping performance which literally kept the crowd gasping for more.
- Ghetto Vocals – five young aspiring vocalists who all possess very unique vocal ranges and when put together, deliver an amaizing melodies.
- K-Slash – a talented dancer with moves to die for. He blew the judges away with his captivating performance.
- Scotty Lloyd – has a deep vocal sound, delivering a combination of rhythm and blues as well as soul music.
- Tiffany aka The Brand –one of the most talented acts on the White Star Stage. Tiffany wowed the crowd with her Christian rap music, fusing gospel with popular hip hop tunes.
“The entries for this year’s Miss Soweto Pageant were of the highest standard, making the competition – and the judge’s decision – very hard. However, I am confident that they have indeed chosen the perfect top 20 to represent Soweto, and to ultimately walk away with this year’s crown,” says White Star’s Marketing Manager, Mokhele Makhothi. “Not only will these 20 finalists receive mentorship and guidance in the coming weeks, they will also learn skills that will last them a lifetime. White Star has enjoyed every step of 2016’s road to Miss Soweto thus far and we can’t wait to see what the 3rd of December will bring.”