- This event has passed.
SA Innovation Summit, Cape Town
September 12, 2018 @ 8:00 am - September 13, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
Africa, our time has come! This is the theme and the call of the SA Innovation Summit 2018 as it brings together corporates, government, academia, researchers, and entrepreneur to unpack the biggest challenges on the continent, including the Fourth Industrial Revolution and how it matters to the African economy. Join 1 500 delegates, as well as high profile speakers, exhibitors, and Southern Africa’s most dynamic start-ups, in celebrating the successes of tech entrepreneurs as the modern activists of change and building pride in our achievements and potential. The Summit is a giant accelerator for the economy in South Africa and into the continent as a whole. It features events and accelerating opportunities for every part of the entrepreneurial ecosystem, from idea conception and pre-commercial development, to start-ups and established big businesses. Here are some of the highlights:
- Mrs Graça Machel is being awarded the 2018 World Prize for Integrated Development for her significant social justice achievements and tireless work for women and children.
- The CEO Panel, from four major manufacturing companies, will debate the implications of Industry 4.0 on global supply chains and ask the question: Do we venture enough? The Corporate Venturing masterclass features international speakers from Silicon Valley and the United Kingdom applying their expertise to the African context.
- The Pitching Den: Entrepreneurs (start-ups with turnovers of up to R 100 million) pitch their ideas to a panel of expert judges and the winner, as Regional Representative for South Africa, qualifies to take part in the Start-up World Cup Finale in Silicon Valley for a grand prize of $1 million investment.
- The FemBioBiz Pitching Den: 28 female finalists, selected from 500 entrants in 13 SADC countries, will compete for the top prize in the Biosciences space at the SA Innovation Summit. (Cash prizes are sponsored by Merck and SABFoundation.)
- The Global Cleantech (GCIP-SA) Pitching Den includes 48 clean and green tech start-ups pitching their ideas.
- The Disrupt Stage will feature master classes and a deep dive that provides a blueprint for disruption for attendees’ concepts, products or new ventures. Exciting virtual reality and augmented reality activations will also be on display as Sea Monster, one of South Africa’s leading animation and gaming tech companies, demonstrates how big businesses have used gamification and immersive tech to drive business outcomes that directly affect the bottom line.
- The Inventors Garage showcases early stage, pre-commercial inventors and innovators with a demo, working prototype or product from proven concept to early commercialisation stage. 21 carefully selected innovators and inventors – from kitchen and garage inventors, to seasoned innovators and engineering students – showcase their businesses in an opportunity to compete and find early stage financial support, while exploring potential markets and share experiences with other entrepreneurs and researchers.
- The Social Innovations Summit will take place within the Innovation Summit, over the three days and delve deeper into the impact that social entrepreneurship is making on the ecosystem and the country.
- A Blockchain workshop in partnership with Linumlabs is presented on 13 September.
- Keynote speakers will be addressing the effect of technology and innovation in different industries and applications, including Agritech, Fintech, Biotech, Edutech, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data and Space and Cities of the Future.
- AFGRI Technology Services (“ATS”), part of AFGRI Group Holdings and established some 18 months ago by leading agribusiness, leads the conversation on introducing innovation and technology across the agricultural value chain and bring AgriTech solutions to the Sector.
- Master classes will address corporate venturing, angel investment, creativity, and intellectual property protection (IP masterclass delivered by Summit IP partner, Adams & Adams).
- Allan Grey Entrepreneurship Challenge (for high school learners) will take place leading up to and during the Summit.
- The National Science and Technology Forum is hosting a discussion forum on the 4th Industrial Revolution to coincide with the SA Innovation Summit in Cape Town. The full event runs from 12-13 September 2018.
- The INNOVATION-DATA | USERx | DESIGN HACKATHON is a unique hackathon to create new ways to communicate and experience South Africa’s innovation performance. It will take place from 11 to 13 September 2018 and is run in collaboration with the HSRC, CeSTII and Naci.