Guitar virtuoso Albert Frost sets to tour South Africa with a new album from 21st April to 1st of May 2016.
Over the coming weeks, music lovers will be treated to live performances by Albert Frost, South Africa’s pre-eminent guitarist whose unique, genre crossing style has earned him much respect and adoration among audiences and peers for more than two decades.
Frost will be touring the country for the launch of his much anticipated third solo album, The Wake Up, which explores various musical avenues and melds stylistic elements of the blues, rock, psychedelic and African genres to create something he says will surprise and excite his fans.
On The Wake Up, Frost worked instrumentally with acclaimed bassist Schalk Joubert and celebrated drummer Jonno Sweetman, who will accompany him on stage during the tour.
In his performances, Frost promises “diverse material, mostly new, showcased in electric and acoustic set-ups, each with a certain energy”. He adds: “The Wake Up is all about bringing something fresh to the show as well as incorporating the concept throughout the performance.”
Although The Wake Up’s sound is a departure from Frost’s blues roots, having played with legendary South African band The Blues Broers for 21 years, he plans on incorporating some older songs into his tour shows. “There will be one or two tracks from Devils and Gods (his first studio recorded solo album) as well as a blues track or two,” he says.
Frost is excited ahead of the tour, saying: “My sound is changing with this album so I hope people like it as much as I do.”
The Wake Up is available to purchase at live gigs and to download on iTunes, Google Play, Deezer and Spotify.
- Cape Town: 21, 22 April, The Fugard Theatre. Bookings: Computicket
- Bloemfontein: 25 April, The Vulture Club. Bookings: www.vulture-aasvoelclub.com
- Pretoria: 26 April, Atterbury Theatre. Bookings: Computicket
- Johannesburg: 27 April, The Good Luck Bar. Bookings: Facebook – The Good Luck Bar
- Durban: 28 April, The Barnyard Theatre Gateway. Bookings: [email protected]
- Durban: 29 April, The Chairman. Bookings: 078 387 1408
- Howick (KZN): 30 April, Caversham Mill. Bookings: 033 234 4524 / 072 125 3392
- Prince Albert (Western Cape): 1 May, The Showroom Theatre. Bookings: 023 541 1563
Twitter: @alfrost #albertfrostTheWakeUp
Image credits: Riehan Bakkes